Upcoming Sales and Events at Here Be Books & Games
August 7, 2014
This is the third of six Marvel Dice Masters Organized Play events at Here Be Books & Games. This is a casual event, not a tournament. We just want to get Marvel Dice Masters fans together for some fun and interesting play utilizing the marvelous theme potential of MDM. Participants will each receive a limited-edition Marvel Dice Masters card, the Deception Basic Action Card, and have a chance to win another limited-edition card: Wolverine: Walking His Own Path Character Card.
Wiz Kids provided the following description for these monthly storylines: "The mysterious and powerful Phoenix Force is on a collision course with the Earth! Prepare for an unparalleled series of challenges as your players enter into the Dice Masters arena and battle for six months; will they join the X-Men or the Avengers?"
To participate in our Marvel Dice Masters Organized Play event, put together two teams. You can choose which to play at the event or play both of them (one at a time, of course). For more thematic play, try to come up with a reason for why these particular team members are working together. Maybe it's game night with the girls against the guys or the X-Men and the Avengers are vying over who's gonna pay for dinner at their favorite burger joint. It can be as mundane or supernatural as you desire, but you need to prepare two teams of up to 8 Characters each with up to 20 corresponding dice amongst them (more specifics below).
We're very excited that we were finally able to obtain Starter Kits for everybody. We even got several Gravity Feeds of booster packs in, too! So, now that we all have lots of marvelous booty, let's ramp up to a full field complement of 8 Characters with 20 dice for this event. Please build your teams according to the following specifications:
- 2 different Basic Action cards (with Basic Action Dice).
- Up to 8 Character/Action cards with up to 20 corresponding dice.
- No Super Rares.
- Otherwise, players may bring any mix of Characters/Actions, but the Team combination should make sense thematically.
- As per standard rules, players may not have more than one Character/Action card with the same title on it, even if the cards have different subtitles.
- Players may not have more dice on a card than its listed MAX value.
- Players may create a team with less than 8 cards/20 dice if they choose, however each card on a Team must have at least one die assigned to it.
- Each player starts with 20 life.
For this event, please complete two Team Lists before the event, which list your cards and how many dice are paired to each. You can download the form from our web site or pick one up at the store. There's also a place for you to list your Mastermind name. For example: Tina's WebWoman, Tim's The Collector, and Roz's is The Ambassador. (Judges Tim & Tina reserve the right to ask you to make modifications to your team lineups.)
Remember, this is not a tournament, just a chance for MDM fans to get together and play Marvel Dice Masters! In the case of rule disputes, please consult your judges. They will have the final say without argument. This is not a hard-core tournament folks, it's just an organized play session - for fun - after which you get goodies for attending. We'll randomly draw for the special Character Card.
Please drop by the store or call (843) 695-1498 to sign up now. Admission is $5 or Free with Purchase of 10 Booster Packs at the Event (if available). [download Team Sheet]
Currently Reading: Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
About the ParaNatural Book Club
The ParaNatural Book Club reads fantasy, sci fi and supernatural titles. Each member of the group contributes a title to the pool and we randomly choose one each month. We usually meet on a Friday evening at 6 p.m. at Here Be Books & Games.
The person who chose the book we're currently reading usually has some discussion questions prepared to help keep us on track and focus our discussions - somewhat. Nevertheless, discussions are usually lively and geeky. We often talk about related books, movies and tv shows during our discussion of the current book.
How To Join the ParaNatural Book Club
Joining is easy: just read the book we're currently reading and show up for the next meeting. Newcomers are welcome!
Books Previously Read & Discussed by The ParaNatural Book Club (most recent to earliest)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Allen)
- Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (Tim)
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Tina)
- At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (Josie)
- Wool by Hugh Howey (Josie)
- Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod (Tina)
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Leigh)
- Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (Brandie)
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (Bill)
- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (Allen)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (Jonathan)
- The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (Jason)
- Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Tim)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Jim)
Here Be Books & Games will be hosting another Ticket to Ride tournament this year. The Champion will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal (metal coin) and a complete set (all five colors) of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains. The other four finalists will each receive one set of a single color of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains.
Registration is $10.
Games begin at 1:00 p.m. and will consist of two rounds: a Preliminary Round in which participants will play both Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and Ticket to Ride: Europe; and a Championship Round of a surprise Ticket to Ride game.
At the end of each preliminary game, we’ll record your finishing position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) and points scored. After all Preliminary games are played and scored, the five players with the lowest Ranking Score will move on to the Championship Round. A player’s Ranking Score is the sum of his final position in the two preliminary games.
For example: Kayla finishes 2nd and 1st in her preliminary games. Her Ranking Score is 3 (2 + 1). Penelope finishes 3rd and 2nd. Her Ranking Score is 5 (3 + 2). Kayla is ranked ahead of Penelope, 3 vs. 5.
In the event of two or more players tying for the last qualifying position(s), tie-breakers will be applied in the following order to determine who moves on to the Championship Round.
- Total number of wins in the preliminary rounds. Among the tied players, the player(s) with the most wins qualifies. If players are still tied, then...
- If the number of players in the preliminary games that the tied players played in is different, the player who defeated the most opponents in the preliminary rounds qualifies. If players are still tied then...
- The player(s) with the highest total number of points scored (in all games) qualifies.
The final game, for the Championship Round, is a surprise. I can tell you that it won’t be either of the Ticket to Ride games played in the preliminary round. There are so many great Ticket to Ride maps available now, it’s going to be hard to choose.
All hail the victor: the winner of the final game will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal and a complete set of translucent plastic trains in all five colors. The other four finalists will each receive a single set of translucent plastic trains, choosing colors in order of placement (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th).
Registration is now open, but space is limited. Cost: $10. Sign up now using the Pay Now Registration form above or drop by Here Be Books & Games.
Participants should already be familiar with Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe. The special rules of the final game will be explained before the game begins. Best of luck in this first of several tournaments and special gaming events we plan to hold in 2014.
It's Fall and time for our Semi-Annual $1 Sidewalk Book Sale! Stock up on your winter reading or try a new author. With thousands of books to choose from, you're sure to find something good to read!
Thousand of BOOKS on SALE for $1 each. All Categories!
Note: We will NOT be accepting any trades during the sale.
Use Your Trade Credit to Pay 100% of Your Book Sale Purchases
Sale-goers can pay 100% of their clearance-sale book purchases with existing trade credit. (Please don't try to trade in a bunch of books during the sale: it's a very busy time and we won't be able to process trades. Instead, plan ahead: trade in your books now, so you'll have plenty of trade credit to spend at the sale in November.) Please note: this special applies only to customers with existing trade credit at the beginning of the sale.
Sign Up to Receive Reminders of Our Semi-Annual Sales
If you would like to receive a reminder by email about this and future semi-annual sales, please call us or let us know next time you visit our store. We'll put you on our call list and/or newsletter email list, whichever you prefer. You should also Like Us on Facebook.
$1 Book Sale Details
Sale Dates & Hours:
- Thursday, Nov __ - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, Nov __ - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov __ - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov __ - 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday you can Buy 1, Get 1 FREE!
Don't miss this incredible sale! It only happens twice a year!
- 12 Days (TableTop Episode #S02E16)
- Alhambra (TableTop Episode #S01E17)
- Betrayal at House on the Hill (Part 1: TableTop Episode #S02E12, Part 2: TableTop Episode #S02E13)
- Carcassonne (TableTop Episode #S02E17)
- Castle Panic (TableTop Episode #S01E06)
- Chez Geek (TableTop Episode #S01E18)
- Dixit (TableTop Episode #S01E12)
- Elder Sign (TableTop Episode #S01E11)
- Forbidden Island (TableTop Episode #S02E05)
- Formula D (TableTop Episode #S02E01)
- Get Bit! (TableTop Episode #S01E03)
- Gloom (TableTop Episode #S01E07)
- King of Tokyo (TableTop Episode #S02E04)
- Last Night on Earth (TableTop Episode #S01E15)
- Lords of Vegas (TableTop Episode #S02E21)
- Lords of Waterdeep (TableTop Episode #S02E10)
- Munchkin Deluxe (TableTop Episode #S01E05)
- Pandemic (TableTop Episode #S01E14)
- Qwirkle (TableTop Episode #S02E16)
- Say Anything (TableTop Episode #S01E09)
- Settlers of Catan (TableTop Episode #S01E02)
- Shadows Over Camelot (TableTop Episode #S02E11)
- Small World (TableTop Episode #S01E01)
- Smash Up (TableTop Episode #S02E06)
- Star Fluxx (TableTop Episode #S01E16)
- Takenoko (TableTop Episode #S02E14)
- The Resistance (TableTop Episode #S02E02)
- Ticket to Ride (TableTop Episode #S01E04)
- Ticket to Ride: Europe (TableTop Episode #S02E19)
- Tsuro (TableTop Episode #S01E03)
- Tsuro of the Seas (TableTop Episode #S02E18)
- Wits & Wagers (TableTop Episode #S01E13)
- Zombie Dice (TableTop Episode #S01E03)
Join us for International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games! International TableTop Day is a celebration for all the fans of tabletop gaming. A single day where the whole world is brought together in a common purpose of spending time together and having fun.
Here's how we're celebrating: During the day (11am to 6pm), drop by for a game demo or learn to play a new game. Then from 6pm until after midnight, join us for a special Game Night.
We have copies of almost all of the board and card games that have appeared in episodes of the popular web show TableTop by Geek & Sundry, hosted by Wil Wheaton, including:
Last International TableTop Day, over 3,123 events were held worldwide across 7 continents, 64 countries and every state and province in North America. Here Be Books & Games was one of them! We taught 9 games during the day. Then during our special TableTop Day Game Night, which 22 people attended, we played 19 games. Let’s smash through those records this year!
Bring yourself and bring your friends so we can play more games on International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games!
If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. give Tina a call at (843) 695-1498.
In the Oakbrook Plaza Shopping Center ~ corner of Ladson & Dorchester
Here Be Books & Games • 4650 Ladson Road, Suite I • Summerville, SC 29485
(843) 695-1498 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2013 Here Be Books, LLC. All rights reserved.
A WebWoman web design.