Upcoming Sales and Events at Here Be Books & Games
June 10, 2015
Never Miss An Upcoming Gaming Event: Join Our Board Game Meetup
You can join our Board Game Meetup at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Board-Game-Meetup. Joining Meetup is free. Get Game Night reminders by text and/or email - your choice. Plus, reminders for other upcoming gaming events at HBB&G.
Currently Reading: The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny by L. Sprague DeCamp & David Drake
About the Book Club
The Book Club reads fantasy and sci fi titles. Urban Fantasy, alternate history, etc. also fit this book club's theme. All attending members get to put a book selection on the reading list. We pick one to read each month until they’re all read then we start a new list. We usually meet on a Friday evening at 6 p.m. at Here Be Books & Games.
Upcoming Titles (subject to change)
We've started a new list of books to read with submissions from all attending members. Note: you have to be attending meetings for your book selection to be eligible as the next reading choice. Here’s the list, in no particular order:
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Tim)
- Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin (Diane)
- Legend by David Gemmell (Jonathan)
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Tina)
- The Lies of Loch Lamora by Scott Lynch or The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Jesse)
- Brilliance by Marcus Sakey or The Martian by Andy Weir (Callan)
The person who chose the book we're currently reading usually has some discussion questions prepared to help keep us on track and focus our discussions - somewhat. Nevertheless, discussions are usually lively and geeky. We often talk about related books, movies and tv shows during our discussion of the current book.
How To Join the Book Club
Joining is easy: just read the book we're currently reading and show up for the next meeting. Newcomers are welcome!
You can also join our Book Club Meetup Group to get reminders by text and/or email at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Book-Club.
Books Previously Read & Discussed by the Book Club (most recent listed first)
- The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny by L. Sprague DeCamp & David Drake (Brandie)
- Gnome Man's Land by Ester Friesner (Stacey)
- The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry (Brandie)
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Tina)
- Earth Abides by George Stewart (Jonathan)
- Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Tina)
- Mad Amos by Alan Dean Foster (Diane)
- Replay by Ken Grimwood (Tim)
- The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford (Stacey)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Allen)
- Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (Tim)
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Tina)
- At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (Josie)
- Wool by Hugh Howey (Josie)
- Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod (Tina)
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Leigh)
- Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (Brandie)
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (Bill)
- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (Allen)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (Jonathan)
- The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (Jason)
- Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Tim)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Jim)
Do you love Bohnanza the fun and interactive bean trading and farming game? Then you’ll love this: a whole day committed to playing Bohnanza and all of its expansions and spin offs. We’ve got expansions: Bohnröchsen and La Isla Bohnita (from Bohnanza: Princes & Pirates), High Bohn Plus and Bohnaparte. We’ve got stand-alone spin-offs: Ladybohn and Al Cabohne (from Bohnanza: Ladies & Gangsters), Bohn to Be Wild, Wendy Horse Bazaar, Space Beans, Bohnkick and more!
Admission is Free. So drop by and grow and trade some beans with us, Saturday, June 13 from 11am to 6 pm.
- Bohnanza - Growing Beans for Fun & Profit
- Bohnanza Card Games & Expansions - From Pirates to Fairy Tales
So join us for a fun day of bean-growing and trading fun!
Splendor is a game all about setting up a thriving international gem business. A Spiel des Jahres nominee, Splendor blew everyone away in 2014 with its simple game play and heavy gem tokens.
On, Saturday, June 20, we'll be hosting a Splendor Game Night appropriate for all levels of players. You have two options of play:
1. Casual Fun Play. Perfect for those who want to play for enjoyment, hone their skills, or learn to play Splendor for the first time. All participants will have a chance to win one or more prizes which will be awarded randomly.
2. Tournament Play. Pit your gem-dealing skills against others in a contest for First Prize: your choice of a set of translucent gem tokens or a Splendor Playmat. This special Playmat designed specifically for Splendor, provides a structured play area for the game. Transluscent versions of the famous Splendor Gem Tokens make an already visually stunning game even better.
Register Now for a Guaranteed Prize
The first 15 players to register (cost $10) will receive a set of New Noble tiles with original artwork and bonus combinations not featured in the orginal Splendor game.
Admission is $10 per person, regardless of how you want to play. The first 15 gamers who sign up will receive a set of the New Noble Tiles.
If you want to learn to play DC Comics Deck-building Game or participate in a DC Comics DBG tournament, please call or drop by the store. We'll teach you how to play!
Batman! Superman! Wonder Woman! and Super-Friends! The Justice League of America is ready for action – are you? Fight the never-ending battle for truth, justice, and peace in the DC Comics Deck-building Game Tournament at Here Be Books & Games. The Champion will be awarded an official full-color DC Comics Deck-building Game Play Mat.
Participants will each receive the limited edition Felix Faust Super Villain Promo Card. Registration is Free (another benefit of your Storm Con registration).
DC Comics Deck-building Game is a competitive card game where players take the role of a famous DC Superhero such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, or The Flash; recruit companions like Catwoman and Supergirl; add equipmment such as the Batmobile and Lasso of Truth; acquire locations like the Fortress of Solitude; and take down the villains like Poison Ivy and Super-Villains like Lex Luthor. Think Super-Frenemies.
To start the game, you’ll choose one of seven over-sized Hero cards, each with its own special power, and a deck of 10 starter cards. Beginning each turn with a hand of five cards, you can acquire or conquer the five types of cards in the game: Heroes, Equipment, Super Powers, Locations, and Villains and Super-Villains.
To defeat Villains, you’ll need to have Power. When a Super-Villain is defeated, a new one comes into play, attacking all the heroes in the process. Make sure you’ve acquired good defenses like Superspeed or Bulletproof powers, or the Batsuit equipment to protect yourself from harm. Craft your Hero Deck into a well-oiled machine to take on the most vile villains in the DC Universe in your quest for Victory (Points)!
The DC Comics Deck-building Game Tournament will be a two-round event in which four or five players per table compete to achieve the highest score. All participants will play one game of DC Comics DBG Base Set. The top four or five players (depends on the number of participants) will then play DC Comics DBG: Heroes Unite for the final round. The winner will be awarded the coveted Game Mat.
Space is limited to 20 participants. Participants should already be familiar with DC Comics Deck-building Game or DC Comics Deck-building Game: Heroes Unite. (Drop by the store any day before the tournament and we'll teach you how to play!)
7 Wonders has been enthralling gamers since its release in 2010 and has also won the prestigious Spiel des Jahres in 2011.
While we haven't yet decided on the play format for this event (tell us how you'd like us to do it), our play kit will include exclusive promotional items that will be on the wish list of gamers across the continent:
- A stunning Art Pack that features alternative artwork for seven of the original Wonder boards with both A and B sides to them (2-3 prizes).
- A new promotional version of the Palace card with new artwork by Miguel Colimbra (24 prizes).
- A 7 Wonders Playmat that will help structure the play area and set-up of the game (1 prize?).
Admission will be $10 per person. The first 24 gamers who sign up will receive the new Palace card. We haven't yet determined how we'll award the other prizes - Playmat and Art Packs. It depends on the feedback we receive from you as to whether we'll randomly award them (all participants will have a chance) or make them the prizes for tournament winners if we do a tournament.
We'll announce a date as soon as we have one. Would you prefer a Saturday evening or Sunday daytime event? What format would you prefer: casual play, organized play or tournament?
Cash 'n Guns - Second Edition is a loot-splitting party game that meets widespread fan approval as an updated classic. It's a hilarious game that hooks people in the first time they take hold of a foam pistol.
While we haven't yet decided on the play format for this event (tell us how you'd like us to do it), our play kit will include exclusive promotional items you won't want to split with anyone:
- A new Giant Cthulhu, designed by the fan-favorite illustrator John Kovalic. He stands twice as tall as the other gangsters, and players are going to have to think twice when Cthulhu is aiming his gun at them. (30 prizes).
- A foam Uzi for use in regular play. Staring down the barrel of that, there are going to be a lot less punks feeling lucky that day (2-3 prizes?).
Admission will be $10 per person. The first 30 gamers who sign up will receive a Giant Cthulhu. We haven't yet determined how we'll award the foam Uzis. It depends on the feedback we receive from you as to whether we'll randomly award them (all participants will have a chance) or make them the prizes for tournament winners if we do a tournament.
We'll announce a date as soon as we have one. Would you prefer a Saturday evening or Sunday daytime event? What format would you prefer: casual play, organized play or tournament?
Here Be Books & Games will be hosting another Ticket to Ride tournament soon. The Champion will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal (metal coin) and a complete set (all five colors) of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains. The other four finalists will each receive one set of a single color of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains.
Registration is $10.
Games begin at 1:00 p.m. and will consist of two rounds: a Preliminary Round in which participants will play both Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and Ticket to Ride: Europe; and a Championship Round of a surprise Ticket to Ride game.
At the end of each preliminary game, we’ll record your finishing position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) and points scored. After all Preliminary games are played and scored, the five players with the lowest Ranking Score will move on to the Championship Round. A player’s Ranking Score is the sum of his final position in the two preliminary games.
For example: Kayla finishes 2nd and 1st in her preliminary games. Her Ranking Score is 3 (2 + 1). Penelope finishes 3rd and 2nd. Her Ranking Score is 5 (3 + 2). Kayla is ranked ahead of Penelope, 3 vs. 5.
In the event of two or more players tying for the last qualifying position(s), tie-breakers will be applied in the following order to determine who moves on to the Championship Round.
- Total number of wins in the preliminary rounds. Among the tied players, the player(s) with the most wins qualifies. If players are still tied, then...
- If the number of players in the preliminary games that the tied players played in is different, the player who defeated the most opponents in the preliminary rounds qualifies. If players are still tied then...
- The player(s) with the highest total number of points scored (in all games) qualifies.
The final game, for the Championship Round, is a surprise. I can tell you that it won’t be either of the Ticket to Ride games played in the preliminary round. There are so many great Ticket to Ride maps available now, it’s going to be hard to choose.
All hail the victor: the winner of the final game will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal and a complete set of translucent plastic trains in all five colors. The other four finalists will each receive a single set of translucent plastic trains, choosing colors in order of placement (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th).
Registration is now open, but space is limited. Cost: $10. Sign up now using the Pay Now Registration form above or drop by Here Be Books & Games.
Participants should already be familiar with Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe. The special rules of the final game will be explained before the game begins.
Coming in Oct or Nov, 2015 : Semi-Annual $1 Book Sale - TWO DAYS ONLY!
Thousand of BOOKS on SALE for $1 each. All Categories!
It's Spring and time for our Semi-Annual $1 Sidewalk Book Sale! Stock up on your summer reading or try a new author. With thousands of books to choose from, you're sure to find something good to read!
Note: We will NOT be accepting any trades during the sale.
Use Your Trade Credit to Pay 100% of Your Book Sale Purchases
Sale-goers can pay 100% of their clearance-sale book purchases with existing trade credit. (Please don't try to trade in a bunch of books during the sale: it's a very busy time and we won't be able to process trades. Instead, plan ahead: trade in your books now, so you'll have plenty of trade credit to spend at the sale in November.) Please note: this special applies only to customers with existing trade credit at the beginning of the sale.
Sign Up to Receive Reminders of Our Semi-Annual Sales
If you would like to receive a reminder by email about this and future semi-annual sales, please call us or let us know next time you visit our store. We'll put you on our call list and/or newsletter email list, whichever you prefer. You should also Like Us on Facebook.
Sale Dates & Hours - TWO DAYS ONLY!
- Friday, - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Don't miss this incredible sale! It only happens twice a year!
Join us for December's Game Night featuring a Game Gift Exchange to celebrate the holidays. In addition to the usual 6+ hours of board gaming, it'll be a game of gift-giving: Games, that is! Plus, everyone will be bringing baked goods, snacks and sweets to share so you're guaranteed to get a sugar high as well!
To participate in the Game Gift Exchange, bring one or more gift-wrapped games (new or gently used). Each game will be assigned a number. Then about 9 p.m., participants (who brought games) will draw a number and receive the game with that number. If it's one you brought, you can draw again. If you already have or don't like the game you received, feel free to trade it with another participant or for one of the unwrapped games Tina & Tim provide. (More details below.)
Everyone who brought a game will take one home. Any games left over after the intial drawing will be given away, too: to the remaining attendees (who didn't bring a gift).
Please bring a baked goodie to share (cookies, candy, brownies, Chex Mix, etc.) nothing too messy. As usual, bring folding chairs if you have them, maybe even a card table. Drinks are available for purchase at the store. [more info on Game Night]
- Do I HAVE to bring a game?
No. Participation in the Game Gift Exchange is optional. If you bring a game, you're guaranteed to receive a game.
- What kind of games should I bring?
Any new or gently used Designer Games are welcome, as long as they're complete and playable. Euro games, Ameritrash, casual games, boardgames, card games, dice games, etc. Good gift candidates, if you don't want to buy a new game, are games that aren't getting the loving plays they deserve at your house (for whatever reason). They might get more plays with someone else. You're welcome to combine several small games into a bundle to give as one gift. Just wrap or tie them together so we know not to separate them. Brand New Games are of course welcome, too! Please DO NOT bring puzzles, video games or rolepalying games (RPGs).
- What price-range should I shoot for when selecting a game to bring?
It's hard for us to set a particular price-range since the values of used games vary so widely. As a guide only - not a rule - let's say a game whose original MSRP was at least $35 or a combination of small games worth at least the same.
- If I bring more than one game, do I get more than one game?
No. The Game Gift Exchange is more about giving than receiving. We're hoping there will be enough extra games that all attendees will get to take home a game for the holidays. All participants who bring a game are guaranteed to receive a game.
- What if I don’t want the game that I received?
Hopefully this will not happen, but with so many people with different gaming tastes, it might. Feel free to exchange with other people. If you can’t find anyone willing to trade, you can trade for one of the unwrapped games Tina & Tim provide. You can always donate it back to the pile; maybe someone else will enjoy it more.
- What if I get the game that I brought in?
If you draw a game that you brought, you can redraw.
Join us for International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games! International TableTop Day is a celebration for all the fans of tabletop gaming. A single day where the whole world is brought together in a common purpose of spending time together and having fun.
Here's how we're celebrating: During the day (11am to 6pm), drop by for a game demo or learn to play a new game. Then from 6pm until after midnight, join us for a special Game Night.
We have copies of almost all of the board and card games that have appeared in episodes of the popular web show TableTop by Geek & Sundry, hosted by Wil Wheaton.
Games Seen on TableTop
- 12 Days (TableTop Episode #S02E16)
- Alhambra (TableTop Episode #S01E17) - Demo Available
- Betrayal at House on the Hill (TableTop Episodes #S02E12 & #S02E13) - Demo Available
- Cards Against Humanity (TableTop Episode #S03E10)
- Carcassonne (TableTop Episode #S02E17) - Demo Available
- Castle Panic (TableTop Episode #S01E06) - Demo Available
- Catan Junior (TableTop Episode #S03E03) - Demo Available
- Chez Geek (TableTop Episode #S01E18)
- Concept(TableTop Episode #S03E12) - Demo Available
- Council of Verona (TableTop Episode #S03E04)
- Coup(TableTop Episode #S03E15)
- Dead of Winter (TableTop Episode #S03E08)
- Dixit (TableTop Episode #S01E12) - Demo Available
- Dread (TableTop Episode #S03E13)
- Elder Sign (TableTop Episode #S01E11) - Demo Available
- Epic Spell Wars (TableTop Episode #S03E09)
- Five Tribes(TableTop Episode #S03E11) - Demo Available
- Forbidden Desert (TableTop Episode #S03E02) - Demo Available
- Forbidden Island (TableTop Episode #S02E05) - Demo Available
- Formula D (TableTop Episode #S02E01)
- Geek Out! (TableTop Episode #S03E06) - Demo Available
- Get Bit! (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
- Gloom (TableTop Episode #S01E07) - Demo Available
- Hare & Tortoise (TableTop Episode #S03E04) - Demo Available
- King of Tokyo (TableTop Episode #S02E04) - Demo Available
- Kingdom Builder(TableTop Episode #S03E16) - Demo Available
- Last Night on Earth (TableTop Episode #S01E15) - Demo Available
- Legendary(TableTop Episode #S03E17) - Demo Available
- Libertalia (TableTop Episode #S03E14)
- Lords of Vegas (TableTop Episode #S02E21) - Demo Available
- Lords of Waterdeep (TableTop Episode #S02E10) - Demo Available
- Love Letter(TableTop Episode #S03E15)
- Mice and Mystics(TableTop Episodes #S03E19 & #S03E20)
- Munchkin Deluxe (TableTop Episode #S01E05) - Demo Available
- Pandemic (TableTop Episode #S01E14) - Demo Available
- Qwirkle (TableTop Episode #S02E16) - Demo Available
- The Resistance (TableTop Episode #S02E02)
- Roll For It!(TableTop Episode #S03E18) - Demo Available
- Say Anything (TableTop Episode #S01E09) - Demo Available
- Settlers of Catan (TableTop Episode #S01E02) - Demo Available
- Shadows Over Camelot (TableTop Episode #S02E11) - Demo Available
- Sheriff of Nottingham (TableTop Episode #S03E06)
- Small World (TableTop Episode #S01E01) - Demo Available
- Smash Up (TableTop Episode #S02E06) - Demo Available
- Star Fluxx (TableTop Episode #S01E16) - Demo Available
- Star Trek Catan (TableTop Episode #S02E08)
- Stone Age (TableTop Episode #S03E05) - Demo Available
- Sushi Go!(TableTop Episode #S03E18) - Demo Available
- Takenoko (TableTop Episode #S02E14) - Demo Available
- Ticket to Ride (TableTop Episode #S01E04) - Demo Available
- Ticket to Ride: Europe (TableTop Episode #S02E19) - Demo Available
- Tokaido (TableTop Episode #S03E01)
- Tsuro (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
- Tsuro of the Seas (TableTop Episode #S02E18) - Demo Available
- Wits & Wagers (TableTop Episode #S01E13) - Demo Available
- Zombie Dice (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
Last International TableTop Day, over 3,123 events were held worldwide across 7 continents, 64 countries and every state and province in North America. Here Be Books & Games was one of them! We taught 9 games during the day. Then during our special TableTop Day Game Night, which 22 people attended, we played 19 games. Let’s smash through those records this year!
Bring yourself and bring your friends so we can play more games on International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games!
If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. give Tina a call at (843) 695-1498.
In the Oakbrook Plaza Shopping Center ~ corner of Ladson & Dorchester
Here Be Books & Games • 4650 Ladson Road, Suite I • Summerville, SC 29485
(843) 695-1498 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2005-2015 Here Be Books, LLC. All rights reserved.
A WebWoman web design.