Upcoming Sales and Events at Here Be Books & Games
April 23, 2016
Never Miss An Upcoming Gaming Event: Join Our Board Game Meetup
You can join our Board Game Meetup at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Board-Game-Meetup. Joining Meetup is free. Get Game Night reminders by text and/or email - your choice. Plus, reminders for other upcoming gaming events at HBB&G.
Currently Reading: Dawn by Octavia Butler (Tim)
About the Book Club
The Book Club reads fantasy and sci fi titles. Urban Fantasy, alternate history, etc. also fit this book club's theme. All attending members get to put a book selection on the reading list. We pick one to read each month until they’re all read then we start a new list. We usually meet on a Friday evening at 6 p.m. at Here Be Books & Games.
Upcoming Titles (subject to change)
We've started a new list of books to read with submissions from all attending members. Note: you have to be attending meetings for your book selection to be eligible as the next reading choice. Here’s the list:
- Destroyer Men #1 by Taylor Anderson (Carmen)
- Do Comets Dream (Star Trek TNG) by S. P. Somtow
- Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch or Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Ted)
- Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Alley)
The person who chose the book we're currently reading usually has some discussion questions prepared to help keep us on track and focus our discussions - somewhat. Nevertheless, discussions are usually lively and geeky. We often talk about related books, movies and tv shows during our discussion of the current book.
How To Join the Book Club
Joining is easy: just read the book we're currently reading and show up for the next meeting. Newcomers are welcome!
You can also join our Book Club Meetup Group to get reminders by text and/or email at: www.meetup.com/Here-Be-Books-and-Games-Book-Club.
Books Previously Read & Discussed by the Book Club (most recent listed first)
- Dawn by Octavia Butler (Tim)
- Minerva Wakes by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher (Tina)
- Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers by Grant Naylor (Jason)
- Fluke Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Carmen)
- Legend by David Gemmell (Jonathan)
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Jason)
- Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin (Diane)
- Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts (Tina)
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Tim)
- The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny by L. Sprague DeCamp & David Drake (Brandie)
- Gnome Man's Land by Ester Friesner (Stacey)
- The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry (Brandie)
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Tina)
- Earth Abides by George Stewart (Jonathan)
- Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Tina)
- Mad Amos by Alan Dean Foster (Diane)
- Replay by Ken Grimwood (Tim)
- The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Jason)
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fford (Stacey)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (Allen)
- Fire in the Mist by Holly Lisle (Brandie)
- Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (Tim)
- The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Tina)
- At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft (Diane)
- Wool by Hugh Howey (Josie)
- Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod (Tina)
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Leigh)
- Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (Brandie)
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (Bill)
- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (Allen)
- A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (Jonathan)
- The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (Jason)
- Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Tim)
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Jim)
Book Club History
The Sci Fi & Fantasy Book Club - originally called the ParaNatural Book Club - was founded in January 2013 by Jim Placzkiewicz, aka horror writer Jim Pyer. The first book we read was Jim’s pick, Cloud Atlas, which no one liked much. Since then we’ve read many excellent books - some more loved than others. Regardless of the book choice, we always have a good time discussing it and whatever other books, movies, tv series, and geeky subjects that come up during the conversation.
Join us for International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games! International TableTop Day is a celebration for all the fans of tabletop gaming. A single day where the whole world is brought together in a common purpose of spending time together and having fun.
Here's how we're celebrating: During the day (11am to 6pm), drop by for a game demo or learn to play a new game. Then from 6pm until after midnight, join us for a special Game Night.
We have copies of almost all of the board and card games that have appeared in episodes of the popular web show TableTop by Geek & Sundry, hosted by Wil Wheaton.
We've planned something special for our FREE TableTop Day Celebration. We'll be awarding lots of prizes during TableTop Day Game Night! (FREE Admission for everyone.) To be eligible, just play any of the games listed below. If you win the game, you win the prize.
- 7 Wonders* - Prize: Palace Promo Card (3 prizes available)
- Cash 'n Guns** - Prize: Foam Uzi (1 prize available) Participant Prize: Cthulhu standee
- Catan* - Prize: Your very own Catanimal (2 prizes available)
- DC Comics DBG* - Prize: Gotham City Docks card (3 prizes available)
- Fluxx* (any version) - Prize: Fluxx promo card (3 prizes)
- Munchkin* - Prize: Set of Munchkin Bookmarks (3 prizes available) Participant Prize: Munchkin silver coin
- King of New York* - Prize; King of New York Promo Cards (3 prizes available)
- King of Tokyo* - Prize: King of Tokyo Promo Cards (3 prizes available)
- Lords of Waterdeep* - Prize: Inevitable Betrayal Promo card (1 prize)
- Ticket to Ride* (any version) - Prize: Official Limited-Edition Transluscent Set of Trains (one color) (3 prizes available)
- Wits & Wagers* - Prize: Wits & Wagers Facebook Fans Promo Pack (3 prizes available)
* Minimum of 4 participants per game required.
** Minimum of 6 participants required.
No player may win more than one copy of the same prize.
We'll also be raffling off some games, including: Agricola, Apocalypse Chaos, New York and a Mystery Tower of Games.
You'll receive one free raffle ticket for every $10 you spend on books and games now thru TableTop Day - as long as some of it is games. You choose what game(s) you want to try to win.
So bring yourself and bring your friends and lets play more games on International TableTop Day, Saturday April 30 at Here Be Books & Games.
Games Seen on TableTop
- 12 Days (TableTop Episode #S02E16)
- Alhambra (TableTop Episode #S01E17) - Demo Available
- Betrayal at House on the Hill (TableTop Episodes #S02E12 & #S02E13) - Demo Available
- Cards Against Humanity (TableTop Episode #S03E10)
- Carcassonne (TableTop Episode #S02E17) - Demo Available
- Castle Panic (TableTop Episode #S01E06) - Demo Available
- Catan Junior (TableTop Episode #S03E03) - Demo Available
- Chez Geek (TableTop Episode #S01E18)
- Concept (TableTop Episode #S03E12) - Demo Available
- Council of Verona (TableTop Episode #S03E04)
- Coup (TableTop Episode #S03E15)
- Dead of Winter (TableTop Episode #S03E08)
- Dixit (TableTop Episode #S01E12) - Demo Available
- Dread (TableTop Episode #S03E13)
- Elder Sign (TableTop Episode #S01E11) - Demo Available
- Epic Spell Wars (TableTop Episode #S03E09)
- Five Tribes (TableTop Episode #S03E11) - Demo Available
- Forbidden Desert (TableTop Episode #S03E02) - Demo Available
- Forbidden Island (TableTop Episode #S02E05) - Demo Available
- Formula D (TableTop Episode #S02E01)
- Geek Out! (TableTop Episode #S03E06) - Demo Available
- Get Bit! (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
- Gloom (TableTop Episode #S01E07) - Demo Available
- Hare & Tortoise (TableTop Episode #S03E04) - Demo Available
- King of Tokyo (TableTop Episode #S02E04) - Demo Available
- Kingdom Builder(TableTop Episode #S03E16) - Demo Available
- Last Night on Earth (TableTop Episode #S01E15) - Demo Available
- Legendary (TableTop Episode #S03E17) - Demo Available
- Libertalia (TableTop Episode #S03E14)
- Lords of Vegas (TableTop Episode #S02E21) - Demo Available
- Lords of Waterdeep (TableTop Episode #S02E10) - Demo Available
- Love Letter (TableTop Episode #S03E15) - Demo Available
- Mice and Mystics (TableTop Episodes #S03E19 & #S03E20)
- Munchkin Deluxe (TableTop Episode #S01E05) - Demo Available
- Pandemic (TableTop Episode #S01E14) - Demo Available
- Qwirkle (TableTop Episode #S02E16) - Demo Available
- The Resistance (TableTop Episode #S02E02) - Demo Available
- Roll For It! (TableTop Episode #S03E18) - Demo Available
- Say Anything (TableTop Episode #S01E09) - Demo Available
- Settlers of Catan (TableTop Episode #S01E02) - Demo Available
- Shadows Over Camelot (TableTop Episode #S02E11) - Demo Available
- Sheriff of Nottingham (TableTop Episode #S03E06)
- Small World (TableTop Episode #S01E01) - Demo Available
- Smash Up (TableTop Episode #S02E06) - Demo Available
- Star Fluxx (TableTop Episode #S01E16) - Demo Available
- Star Trek Catan (TableTop Episode #S02E08)
- Stone Age (TableTop Episode #S03E05) - Demo Available
- Sushi Go! (TableTop Episode #S03E18) - Demo Available
- Takenoko (TableTop Episode #S02E14) - Demo Available
- Ticket to Ride (TableTop Episode #S01E04) - Demo Available
- Ticket to Ride: Europe (TableTop Episode #S02E19) - Demo Available
- Tokaido (TableTop Episode #S03E01) - Demo Available
- Tsuro (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
- Tsuro of the Seas (TableTop Episode #S02E18) - Demo Available
- Wits & Wagers (TableTop Episode #S01E13) - Demo Available
- Zombie Dice (TableTop Episode #S01E03) - Demo Available
Last International TableTop Day, over 3,123 events were held worldwide across 7 continents, 64 countries and every state and province in North America. Here Be Books & Games was one of them! We taught 9 games during the day. Then during our special TableTop Day Game Night, which 22 people attended, we played 19 games. Let’s smash through those records this year!
Bring yourself and bring your friends so we can play more games on International TableTop Day at Here Be Books & Games!
Friday & Saturday, May 20 & 21, 2016 : Semi-Annual $1 Book Sale - TWO DAYS ONLY!
Thousand of BOOKS on SALE for $1 each. All Categories!
It's time for our Semi-Annual $1 Sidewalk Book Sale! Stock up on your summer reading or try a new author. With thousands of books to choose from, you're sure to find something good to read!
Note: We will NOT be accepting any trades during the sale.
Use Your Trade Credit to Pay 100% of Your Book Sale Purchases
Current customers with existing trade credit, can pay 100% of their clearance-sale book purchases with their existing trade credit. (Please don't try to trade in a bunch of books during the sale: it's a very busy time and we won't be able to process trades. Instead, plan ahead: trade in your books now, so you'll have plenty of trade credit to spend at the sale.) Please note: this special applies only to customers with existing trade credit at the beginning of the sale.
Sign Up to Receive Reminders of Our Semi-Annual Sales
If you would like to receive a reminder by email about this and future semi-annual sales, please call us or let us know next time you visit our store. We'll put you on our call list and/or newsletter email list, whichever you prefer. You should also Like Us on Facebook.
Sale Dates & Hours - TWO DAYS ONLY!
- Friday, May 20 - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Don't miss this incredible sale! It only happens twice a year!
Join us for December's Game Night featuring a Game Gift Exchange to celebrate the holidays. In addition to the usual 6+ hours of board gaming, it'll be a night of gift-giving: Games, that is! Plus, everyone will be bringing baked goods, snacks and sweets to share so you're guaranteed to get a sugar high as well!
To participate in the Game Gift Exchange, bring one or more gift-wrapped games (new or gently used). Each game will be assigned a number. Then about 9 p.m., participants (who brought games) will draw a number and receive the game with that number. If it's one you brought, you can draw again. If you already have or don't like the game you received, feel free to trade it with another participant or for one of the unwrapped games Tina & Tim provide. (More details below.)
Everyone who brought a game will take one home. Any games left over after the intial drawing will be given away, too: to the remaining attendees (who didn't bring a gift).
Please bring a baked goodie to share (cookies, candy, brownies, Chex Mix, etc.) nothing too messy. As usual, bring folding chairs if you have them, maybe even a card table. Drinks are available for purchase at the store. [more info on Game Night]
- Do I HAVE to bring a game?
No. Participation in the Game Gift Exchange is optional. If you bring a game, you're guaranteed to receive a game.
- What kind of games should I bring?
Any new or gently used Designer Games are welcome, as long as they're complete and playable. Euro games, Ameritrash, casual games, boardgames, card games, dice games, etc. Good gift candidates, if you don't want to buy a new game, are games that aren't getting the loving plays they deserve at your house (for whatever reason). They might get more plays with someone else. You're welcome to combine several small games into a bundle to give as one gift. Just wrap or tie them together so we know not to separate them. Brand New Games are of course welcome, too! Please DO NOT bring puzzles, video games or rolepalying games (RPGs).
- What price-range should I shoot for when selecting a game to bring?
It's hard for us to set a particular price-range since the values of used games vary so widely. As a guide only - not a rule - let's say a game whose original MSRP was at least $40 or a combination of small games worth at least the same.
- If I bring more than one game, do I get more than one game?
No. The Game Gift Exchange is more about giving than receiving. We're hoping there will be enough extra games that all attendees will get to take home a game for the holidays. All participants who bring a game are guaranteed to receive a game.
- What if I don’t want the game that I received?
Hopefully this will not happen, but with so many people with different gaming tastes, it might. Feel free to exchange with other people. If you can’t find anyone willing to trade, you can trade for one of the unwrapped games Tina & Tim provide. You can always donate it back to the pile; maybe someone else will enjoy it more.
- What if I get the game that I brought in?
If you draw a game that you brought, you can redraw.
Here Be Books & Games will be hosting another Ticket to Ride tournament soon. The Champion will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal (metal coin) and a complete set (all five colors) of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains. The other four finalists will each receive one set of a single color of Limited Edition Translucent Plastic Trains.
Registration is $10.
Games begin at 1:00 p.m. and will consist of two rounds: a Preliminary Round in which participants will play both Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 and Ticket to Ride: Europe; and a Championship Round of a surprise Ticket to Ride game.
At the end of each preliminary game, we’ll record your finishing position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) and points scored. After all Preliminary games are played and scored, the five players with the lowest Ranking Score will move on to the Championship Round. A player’s Ranking Score is the sum of his final position in the two preliminary games.
For example: Kayla finishes 2nd and 1st in her preliminary games. Her Ranking Score is 3 (2 + 1). Penelope finishes 3rd and 2nd. Her Ranking Score is 5 (3 + 2). Kayla is ranked ahead of Penelope, 3 vs. 5.
In the event of two or more players tying for the last qualifying position(s), tie-breakers will be applied in the following order to determine who moves on to the Championship Round.
- Total number of wins in the preliminary rounds. Among the tied players, the player(s) with the most wins qualifies. If players are still tied, then...
- If the number of players in the preliminary games that the tied players played in is different, the player who defeated the most opponents in the preliminary rounds qualifies. If players are still tied then...
- The player(s) with the highest total number of points scored (in all games) qualifies.
The final game, for the Championship Round, is a surprise. I can tell you that it won’t be either of the Ticket to Ride games played in the preliminary round. There are so many great Ticket to Ride maps available now, it’s going to be hard to choose.
All hail the victor: the winner of the final game will be awarded an official Ticket to Ride Tournament Medal and a complete set of translucent plastic trains in all five colors. The other four finalists will each receive a single set of translucent plastic trains, choosing colors in order of placement (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th).
Registration is now open, but space is limited. Cost: $10. Sign up now using the Pay Now Registration form above or drop by Here Be Books & Games.
Participants should already be familiar with Ticket to Ride and Ticket to Ride: Europe. The special rules of the final game will be explained before the game begins.
If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. give Tina a call at (843) 695-1498.
In the Oakbrook Plaza Shopping Center ~ corner of Ladson & Dorchester
Here Be Books & Games • 4650 Ladson Road, Suite I • Summerville, SC 29485
(843) 695-1498 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2005-2016 Here Be Books, LLC. All rights reserved.
A WebWoman web design.